Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday Catch Up: Invincible Hardcover #1



INVINCIBLE HARDCOVER #1
Written by Robert Kirkman
Art by Ryan Ottley @ Cory Walker
Colors by Bill Crabtree
Published by Image Comics

Now I love Kirkman's Walking Dead. I love it. I think it is one of the best comics out in the market right now. Therefore I have always been interested in seeing his handle on superheroes in his own little universe. I have been wanting to give Invincible a shot for a while but I just haven't had the time until recently. I had heard tons of praise for the book and thought it was about time to check it out in hardcover form which collects the first couple trades of the series.
At first I was little underwhelmed. I liked what he was doing with the whole Spiderman meets the son of Superman thing and it was an interesting dynamic seeing a family so used to having a superhero for a father. But it was just kind of whatever for a little while. Until Kirkman does what he does so well and just pulls something that pulls the plot rug out from under you completely. I am not going to give it a way but a major shift happens that makes this go from "eh" to "Hey that is really interesting, I don't think I have ever seen something like that happen before." Unfortanatly that happens right at the end of the hardcover so I need to wait to the next one to find out more. I will definitly purchase the other hardcovers. It is worth it too. A couple trades for about $35.
The art was good but some things annoyed me. I don't like the way they drew noses. I love every thing else but something about noses bothered me. This isn't the first time this has happened to me either. I remember looking at John Romita Jr. art and thinking the same thing. I just am particular about noses. I also love the colors in this book. Big bright and a lot of fun.
Check it out and catch up on the trades. Apparantly it is hitting issue 50 which is supposed to be a catching on point for everyone. As for me, I am going to stick to the hardcovers.

No comments: